Contax Law has curated a pool of vetted lawyers who enable us to provide to our clients with innovative and flexible legal resourcing solutions at short notice. With the benefit of our years of experience in permanent legal recruitment and legal practice, we are able to provide valuable advice to clients on their recruitment strategy and a leading resourcing service.
In addition to our pool of lawyers, we also work with paralegals, legal project managers, compliance professionals, contract managers and trading documentation negotiators.
How it works
- Resourcing Advice. We can advise our clients on their recruitment strategy and on optimising their resourcing requirements, offering guidance on the type and seniority of the legal resource required to meet the client’s needs and budget. Clients use our services to cover the following resource needs:
- overflow work requirements
- permanent staff absences
- advice on resourcing inside or outside of IR35
- resource isolated transactional, regulatory or litigation projects
- resource larger projects with a group of carefully selected lawyers, paralegals, legal project managers and/or compliance professionals
- Search. We source candidates from our pool of vetted lawyers to meet our clients’ specific experience and qualification role requirements. We work with our clients in two different ways:
- Contractor model: Contax Law sits contractually between the client and the contractor (or their umbrella or personal service companies) for an administratively easy and seamless client experience. Clients pay Contax Law for the resource on a fixed day rate basis with no employee arrangements, holiday pay or recruitment fees. Time sheets are submitted for client approval via an online portal administered by Sonovate. We offer our clients payment terms of up to 60 days whilst still ensuring that our contractors are paid monthly, provided that time sheets have been approved.
- FTC model: We receive a one-off recruitment fee for placing a candidate who is employed directly by the client on a fixed term or permanent contract. This is route favourable for roles which cannot be structured to fall outside of IR35 such as cover for permanent staff absences.
- Ongoing support. Our clients have a dedicated account manager who is responsible for ensuring the success of the assignment and client relationship. Importantly, each contractor is also contacted monthly throughout the assignment to ensure that they are being offered enough support, so that the relationship continues to work well. If there are any issues we support contractors in dealing with those issues so that the relationship can continue to work successfully.
WHY CLIENTS USE US
- Speed of process, for urgent resourcing needs
- Flexibility: for Contracting Model roles our clients have no employee arrangements, holiday pay or recruitment fees
- Search experts: our team use their years of experience in permanent search to find suitable lawyers and/or legal resources that other agencies are unable to find. 85% of contractors we placed in 2018 and 2019 were offered contract extensions or permanent roles by the client. For information about our permanent search firm, Nicholas Scott, who supports Contax Law on search requirements, please click here. Nicholas Scott is a wholly owned subsidiary of Contax Law.
- IR35: We understand and can assist clients on navigating through the IR35 tax regime, working with clients on status determinations and structuring roles so that they can fall outside of IR35. We can use insurance to remove tax liability risk from the supply chain.
- We employ processes to ensure that our lawyers are all of the highest quality, with training and experience at quality law firms and in-house roles. In addition to assessing their suitability for the specific role, we will vet their qualifications, identity, references, right to work in the UK, PI cover and criminal background. For some examples of the lawyers we work with, please click here.
- Ongoing support. We actively engage with contractors on assignment so that they are supported when support is needed.
- Dedicated client relationship manager
CLIENT CASE STUDIES
UK Leading Non Bank Lender
Leading Private Equity House had a new CEO in one of their portfolio companies who required a proactive Head of Legal who could work at a Board Level and also manage and improve the productivity of the Legal Department.
Contax Law suggested a ‘try before you buy ‘solution and provided a shortlist of four General Counsel who had financial services experience and were prepared to work on an initial contract basis so all parties could see how they performed before committing to a permanent contract. In addition to accessing the Contax Lawyer Pool , Contax Law were also able to call upon the legal search services of Nicholas Scott (wholly owned subsidiary of Contax Law).
FTSE11 Telecoms Supplier
We received an urgent requirement from a FTSE 100 leading telecoms organisation, who required a highly skilled and technical media lawyer to help in their commercial team on complex commercial media matters for an initial 12 month contract. They had exhausted all avenues through their panel of firms and approached us needing a quick resolution to find an excellent lawyer for them.
We were able to tap in to our pool of Private Practice lawyers who we knew wanted to secure a role in house and in doing so, found a lawyer from a leading firm who fitted their exact requirements. The law firm were interested in this arrangement and happy to let their lawyer leave on a short notice, effectively under a 12 month in house secondment arrangement, which the lawyer had expressed an interest in doing. The law firm benefitted in that the FTSE 100 telecoms organisation then became a new client of theirs.
Private Family Office / Private Wealth Manager
A boutique family office and private wealth manager were looking for their first in house General Counsel to help establish and run the legal department, assisting on a broad range of internal matters as well as providing expertise to clients and wider business areas on arising legal matters. As this was a new hire for them, the role would initially be for a 1 year contract.
The challenge with this hire was finding someone at the right level of experience who would be comfortable in this environment. Someone coming from a large organisation was unlikely to be suitable. In addition to this, the role required someone to be quite hands on, so we needed a relatively senior person on a tight. We also needed to find someone that would be willing to undertake this role on a contract basis initially. Contax Law was able to leverage its close working relationship with its wholly owned permanent recruitment firm Nicholas Scott, and their contacts overseas, to find a suitably qualified UK lawyer in the Middle East who was looking for a move back to London after several years overseas.